My Gestalt and Humanistic training was undertaken at Institut Belge de Gestalt (IBG) in Brussels and Spectrum in London.
I am currently furthering my expertise by doing a four year Gestalt Therapy training course at the Institut Belge de Gestalt (IBG) in Brussels, Belgium. The IBG practices and teaches a Gestalt that is centered on awareness in the here and now. The training is experiential.
My earlier training took place at Spectrum, a well respected Humanistic Integrative Centre based in London (http://www.spectrumtherapy.co.uk/). The Spectrum training covered Gestalt, Formative and Existential psychology and Transactional Analysis and did so largely in an experiential fashion. A considerable part of the work and learning was achieved in an "open group" format.
My professional training at IBG and Spectrum and other institutions has included the following:
- A two year basic training in Gestalt. I am currently in the middle of the second 2 year cycle, which is an in depth training on working with gestalt theory.
- The one year Intensive Course in Psychotherapy. This covered all the foundations of Humanistic Integrative Psychology and therapy in a very intensive and experiential way.
- The one year Continuation Course. This course serves to deepen and extend the understanding and experience obtained by Spectrum students in the first year foundation course.
- A five day "Dream Marathon". Spectrum marathons are residential and very intensive. The Dream Marathon explored our dreams and served to open up the possibilities of what my life could become.
- A five day "Anger Marathon". The Anger Marathon focused on our scariest emotion - anger. 5 intensive days of dealing with anger. This emotion is also often the easiest emotion for men to access and thus provides them with a route to their other emotions.
- Imago Couples Therapy workshop. The Imago Dialogue is a very powerful tool that helps couples deepen their relationship. The workshop opened me up to the intricacies of communicating in couples.
- Marshall Rosenberg Non-Violent Communication workshop. The basics of communication, presented in a very brilliant format.
- The Gallup Organization's Strength-Finder and Q12 management tools. These are HR tools that employ Positive Psychology to enable individuals and teams to maximize their abilities.
Much of my training has benefited from my own personal therapeutic development which has included the following:
- 6 years in one 2 one therapy at Spectrum. My one 2 one with Rex Bradley was a trans-formative period in my life.
- 7 years in a men's therapy group. The group met every two weeks for 3 hours and included between 8 and 10 men.
- 2 years of psychoanalysis and hypnotherapy.
- Two 10 day silent Vipassana meditation courses as taught by S.N. Goenka. This course teaches the basic Buddhist meditation technique and is surprisingly similar to modern day psychology in that it leads to a considerable amount of self-knowledge.
I have also completed the following degrees in non-psychology related subjects:
- MBA in Marketing from the Wharton Business School
- MA in International Studies from the University of Pennsylvania
- MA in Regional Science from the University of Pennsylvania
- BA in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania